Hola todos! While away on my little six week adventure, I will be missing you all. And while I will have to wait to come back to hear all about your lives, while I'm gone I can at least keep you updated about my travels and my journey to test my independence (and Spanish). In the words of my friend Suzanne "who needs television when I can watch Ruthie's life?" Well, using this blog I hope to live up to her expectations by being as entertaining as she claims. You all will be the judges of that.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Iguazu and why I am so proud of myself

So seconds before I left my house last night to go to the Tango Show, I hit click to purchase my flight to Iguazu for this morning. When I got back at around 1 am, something had gone wrong. There had been an error and the airlines rebooked me on two different flights that would shorten my excursion on both ends.

The airlines are not available by phone after a certain hour and obviously I could not contact anyone by email. My parents were asleep, so no advice there. So I had to figure this one out on my own. It might sound like common sense to some of you, but for me this was a big deal.

My original flight left at 8am today. The re-booked flight was supposed to leave at 130pm. Well, I wanted my original flight. So I got up at the buttcrack of dawn. I showered (in case the showers here were not so cool and because showering is good) and called a cab. I got to the airport at 7am and rebooked a ticket for a flight at 935 am. I passed out on the plane - which was apparently delayed an hour - and arrived in Iguazu at 1215pm. I was SO PROUD OF MYSELF. I actually just totally impromptu arrived at the airport, fixed my problem and got on a plane for a domestic flight in Argentina. Not bad for a rookie.

This town reminds you that you are in a less developed country. Not nearly as cultivated as Buenos Aires, people come here just for the falls. There is no nightlife. Just a few restaurants here in the center of town. The raw earth is exposed everywhere, the color of Red Indian Clay. Its actually very pretty.

I went to the falls around 3 pm today to get my bearings and decide what to do tomorrow on my full day excursion. As it turns out, there was a train leaving at 4pm to La Garganta del Diablo (the Devils Throat). I took amazing photos and video - I promise to post when I can. Just know that this sight was overpowering. Truly, I just went 'OH MY GOD.' The two rainbows arching over gushing water. GUSHING into what looked like a hole in the middle of the earth. I heard that its not the prettiest spot in the park but that its the most powerful. I believe it. You can´t even see the bottom of the falls where the water lands because there is so much mist rebounding from the speed of the falls. Incredible.

Sorry to post so briefly about something so amazing, but people are waiting for the computer. I will post more tomorrow after my full day of exploring!!

BESOS!

No comments:

Post a Comment