Hola todos! While away on my little six week adventure, I will be missing you all. And while I will have to wait to come back to hear all about your lives, while I'm gone I can at least keep you updated about my travels and my journey to test my independence (and Spanish). In the words of my friend Suzanne "who needs television when I can watch Ruthie's life?" Well, using this blog I hope to live up to her expectations by being as entertaining as she claims. You all will be the judges of that.

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Casa Fuera La Casa (Home Away from Home)

We've hit the two week mark!
Last night Rachel and I ventured to the Jabad House (that's right j = ch here) for Shabbat services and dinner. Surprisingly, Jabad used the melodies most familiar to me of the shuls we have been visited. I guess my tunes are more traditional than I had realized.

Though the building was freezing, the community was extremely warm. We met a woman from Cordoba, Argentina who had just moved to Buenos Aires five months ago. She is a flautist and a music teacher, so she and I got along very well. The Rabbi and his wife were so sweet. They have 11 children. Eleven. I was trying to count while I sat there and I got up to 7 or 8. I nearly bowled over when I heard 11. But I guess Jabad everywhere is the same.

Before dinner the Rabbi made a beautiful speech about the purpose of Jabad around the world: so that Jews always have a home away from home (una casa fuera la casa). He welcomed us and we just felt so comfortable. At the end of the meal we all went around the table and introduced ourselves - said a little something.

So I said: Hola, me llamo Ruthie. Soy de los Estados Unidos, naci in CT pero vivo en Nueva York. Soy de vacaciones aca pero algo que me intersan son las comunidades judias en otros paises. Me fascina que no importa donde estas, todo es lo mismo. Creo que eso es lindo. Gracias por todo, el bienvenidos y la cena. Shabbat Shalom.

Hi, my name is Ruthie. I'm from the States, born in CT but I live in NY. I am on vacation here but one thing that interests me is Jewish communities around the world. It fascinates me/I love that it doesn't matter where you are, everything is the same. I think it's beautiful. Thank you for everything, the hospitality and the dinner. Shabbat Shalom.

This being my third Shabbat here, I do feel like I am totally welcome in this city whenever I go to shul (shil).

In fact, I am finally starting to feel like I live here in Buenos Aires. It happened so fast. While there is a lot to do here, most activities don't take so long - maybe a couple of hours. So I've slowed down. I'm starting to fall into a routine and I feel like I have a real network of friends. Between yoga and tango lessons I am taking classes among the residents here. I'm relaxing a bit more.

And I think that helps. This city has a more relaxed attitude and I think by slowing down (at least during the day) I fit in more. In the past couple of days I've done some touring, going along with the theme of being Jewish.

On Thursday I visited the El Museo Judio y El Templeo Israelito. Though small, the museum shows the history of the migration of the Jewish people to Argentina. There were traditional objects: Torahs (Sephardic ones!), a pocket Tanach, Chanukiot, the index of immigrants. I much preferred looking around the Sanctuary of the synagogue. It was so beautiful. Originally intended for an orthodox congregation, the upper gallery for women had the most beautiful wood carved chairs. I think we may try shul there our next Shabbat.

Thursday night I had my first full night out Argentina style. I went out for a real dinner with friends at 10:30. We had a DELICIOUS meal until about 12:45. We walked over, shivering, to a bar to grab some drinks before we headed back to Lost (the hip hop club). We left around 5 and turned in for the night. Going out at 2 am is much easier when you are not hanging around your hostel tired first.

Yesterday, I continued my Jewish ways during the day. Shopping. I tried on every pair of boots I remotely liked. Of course, I bought nothing. Don't worry. I'm going to have to buy leather here. It's the thing to do. But, spending a lot of money.....not my forte. In actuality, the leather here is cheap for the excellent quality. I just need to find the perfect ones before I commit. I need to make sure that they are the ones I really love. Though my friend reminded me yesterday "they're shoes, not a husband." She has a point. But so do I.

For me to have spend a whole day shopping instead of touring, I must feel like I live here.

Anywho, after shopping came Jabad (you already know about that) and then I passed out hard core.

Buenos Aires on the whole is really great. I feel more and more comfortable every day. When I first got here, I didn't feel like I needed to study abroad here. Now that I have been here a little longer, I still don't think I needed to, but I understand how I could have spent more time here. New York is my true home away from home, so I won't give that up...but for this summer, Buenos Aires is a good second.

On the agenda: moving to my new homestay, tour of La Casa Rosada, tango lesson, go out.

BESOS!

1 comment:

  1. I so enjoy reading your blog...it's so interesting. Keep up the blogging and enjoy your journey!!

    ReplyDelete