Hola todos! While away on my little six week adventure, I will be missing you all. And while I will have to wait to come back to hear all about your lives, while I'm gone I can at least keep you updated about my travels and my journey to test my independence (and Spanish). In the words of my friend Suzanne "who needs television when I can watch Ruthie's life?" Well, using this blog I hope to live up to her expectations by being as entertaining as she claims. You all will be the judges of that.

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Sea Lions and Penguins and Huskies, Oh My!

Apparently, Ushuaia is the place to ski. But, I don't ski.

So instead, I spent my day with lots of animals in the Arctic climate of Ushuaia. I took a boat ride in the Beagle Channal for a few hours. Whooo, it was really cold yesterday. But we sailed right up to the island where the sea lions lay all day long. They are so funny-looking. They're really fat and they fight with each other, trying to push one another off the rocks, and they sound like honking cars all the while. Really, they are uglier than they are cute. I find I prefer seals to sea lions, though it was cool to see them in their natural habitat.

The boat pulled away and we journeyed on to the lighthouse at the end of the world. Unless you pay 25 grand to go to Antarctica, this is the most southern lighthouse on the face of the earth. Pretty sweet. I was even farther south than when I was in the park yesterday.

We drove on and came to the island with the long-necked penguins. Technically, they aren't penguins. They just look like penguins with long necks. But they've got one up on penguins. They can fly. They're beautiful birds and I was within five feet of one of them. On our next stop we got off on a little island so that we were flanked by Chile on the left and Argentina on the right. Our guide taught us a bit about the indigenous people who first settled at the end of the world.

It was a relaxing morning...something to do. Not the most super excursion I'd been on but fun to see the animals.

In the afternoon I got to watch more tennis! Wooohooo! I watched RAFA kick some booty. And David Nalbandian was playing. The Argentines love him (because he's Argentine). What's funny is that they LOVE him and don't even care about Del Potro. It's funny because Del Potro has actually won a grand slam, yet they call Nalbandian King David.

Last night I had a great outing in Tierra del Mayor. I went dogsledding and snow-shoeing!!! When we first got there we had a little time to meet the dogs. Our sled was led by five white dogs and our leader Husky, Arnie. We rode about 2 kilometers. The dogs are really friendly to people but they do not like each other. Territorial is an understatement. I thought they were gonna tear each other apart with their teeth when we pulled over and they had to sit together.

We had a nice little dinner around a campfire with mulled wine. It's amazing how in the middle of a frozen wasteland a good fire - and some mulled wine - can keep 20 people warm. One of our guides, Carolina, brought out her guitar and they were singing classic Spanish tunes. She could tell that my friend and I felt left out being from the States. So she sang Proud Mary. It was priceless listening to her do her English accent. And then after dinner we snow-shoed back. It was a nice little walk and snow-shoeing is pretty easy. You just walk normally. I was a little bummed we didn't have the old-fashioned tennis rackets on, but what are you gonna do? The advances of technology to make things easier. Damn.


And now I am waiting for my flight back to Buenos Aires.

Two nights until I fly home!!

BESOS!

No comments:

Post a Comment